Office 365 (O365) contains the same array of Office products and services you recognize (Exchange email, Office suite applications such as Word and Excel, OneDrive for Business, Skype, and so on), now provided through the cloud. There are additional features and wider access to tools you can use, both at work and at home, while providing the latest software releases.
Benefits of O365
New Email Benefits
Leveraging Microsoft's O365 Exchange email platform provides CSULB faculty and staff with enhanced email services, including:
- 50 GB mailbox quotas (the on-premises campus default quota was 10 GB)
- 100 GB of additional email archiving
- Supporting various types of connections including Outlook, mobile devices, and Outlook on the web (aka Outlook Web App, OWA, webmail).
- Skype for Business integrated within your Exchange online email, which supports secure instant messaging, video calls, and hosting online meetings.
Other Existing Benefits
Employees and students have had access to use the following O365 services:
- Storage: virtually unlimited cloud storage through OneDrive for Business. OneDrive for Business can also be used to share documents with users outside of CSULB.
- Free Software: Qualifying users (includes all active undergraduate and graduate students and faculty and staff) can install up to 5 copies each of Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) on their personally owned computers, phones, and tablet devices of their choosing.
- Mobility and collaboration: Work from most anywhere using Office applications with your favorite devices–PCs, Macs and mobile devices–and move and work with your Office documents locally on your device or in an online environment. Collaborate with colleagues, partners and customers with documents that are up to date and accessible from almost anywhere.
- Content Management: SharePoint Online makes it easy to set up and manage online communities, wikis and blogs, make customized forms and create and manage content and documents. Employees can contact the local college or department technical support team for assistance with creating a SharePoint site.
Microsoft Office 365 provides secure and trusted cloud services to ensure University employees and students can utilize O365 services without fear of data security. More information about Microsoft's commitment to their cloud security can be found here:
O365 Service Eligibility
Office 365 services are available to current CSULB employees and students. Service duration varies:
- Students maintain access for 395 days after graduation.
- Faculty maintain access for 365 days after termination of active employment status.
- Staff (including auxiliary staff) and volunteers lose access upon termination of active employment status.
- Emeriti (faculty and staff) may maintain or gain access to O365 email upon approval by either Faculty or Staff Human Resources.
In conjunction with Microsoft, the CSULB Division of Information Technology provides Office 365 support.